Patient Care Tech
Company: Fresenius Medical Center
Location: Pinellas Park
Posted on: September 24, 2022
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:Functions as part of the dialysis health care
team in providing safe and effective dialysis therapy for patients
under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse in accordance with
organization policies, procedures, and training and in compliance
with regulations set forth by the corporation, state, and federal
agencies. Responsible for the setup and operation of hemodialysis
machines. Assist in the maintenance of a safe and clean working
environment. Supports the organization commitment to the Quality
Enhancement Program (QEP) and CQI Activities, including those
related to patient satisfaction and actively participates in
process improvement activities that enhance the likelihood that
patients will achieve the organization Quality Enhancement Goals
(QEP).PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:Patient
- Assist other health care members in providing patient specific
detailed education regarding adequacy measures where appropriate -
Online Clearance Monitoring (OLC), Adequacy Monitoring Program
(AMP), Urea Kinetic Modeling (UKM), and regarding disease
- Welcome assigned patients and inquire as to their wellbeing
since their last treatment.
- Evaluate vascular access for patency, perform vascular access
cannulation, and perform administration of heparin as delegated or
as allowed by state law.
- Obtain necessary pre and post treatment vital signs and weight
and perform vascular access evaluation pre- treatment
- Initiate dialysis treatment according to prescribed orders
including blood flow (QB) and dialysate flow (QD).
- Evaluate intradialytic problems and provide intervention as
prescribed by physician order or as directed.
- Monitor patients response to dialysis therapy.
- Obtain vital signs prior to reinfusion; perform all relevant
functions necessary for the discontinuation of treatment -
- Discontinue dialysis treatment according to established
procedures and evaluate patient prior to termination of venous
access - standing & sitting blood pressure
- Obtain Hemostasis and apply appropriate dressings.
- Evaluate the patient prior to discharge.
- Perform and record Pre and Post dialysis evaluation, weight,
and vital signs with initial identification
- Responsible for calculating and entry of individual patients
dialysis machine programming for Ultrafiltration (UF) goal;
treatment time; and UF modeling as prescribed.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate safety alarms are enabled,
including Narrow Venous Limits, (NVL) 160.
- Record accurate and timely information regarding vital signs
and treatment parameters onto the Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet with
- Responsible for accurate documentation of information related
to patient treatment including completion of Hemodialysis Treatment
Sheet and, if applicable, progress notes.
- Report any significant information and/or change in patient
condition directly to the registered nurse or supervisor.
- Observe patient and conduct machine safety checks according to
facility policy. Report any change or unusual findings to the
registered nurse or supervisor.
- Perform and document any intervention for unusual patient
status and document patients' response to intervention.
- Evaluate patients vascular access during treatment including
arterial and venous monitoring pressures, provide appropriate
intervention as needed, document and report any unusual findings to
the registered nurse or supervisor.
- Obtain all prescribed laboratory testing and prepare specimens
- Ensure that all blood spills are immediately cleaned with
appropriate disinfectant according to facility policy.
- Prepare, organize, and efficiently utilize supplies and
equipment to prevent wastage.
- Monitors patients performing self-care under the supervision of
- Assists in training of applicable direct patient care staff on
appropriate programs under the supervision of a
- Follows all organization business policies, procedures and
systems incorporated into training, including compliance with
ethical business practices
- Maintain environmental integrity and aesthetics - ensure all
areas are safe and clean.
- Clean and disinfect dialysis machine surface, chair, equipment,
and surrounding area between treatments according to facility
- Conduct all tasks necessary for preparation for dialysis
treatment and document where appropriate and perform all required
pretreatment dialysis machine alarm testing including Pressure
- Initiate Solution Delivery System (SDS) system.RECORD KEEPING:
- Complete and document ongoing participation in Continuous
Quality Improvement (CQI) activities.
- Enters all treatment data into the designated clinical
application in an accurate and timely manner.
- Review treatment sheets for completeness, ensure nursing
signatures are documented, and ensureomitted entries are completed
or corrected by appropriate staff.
- Prepare initial patient chart for admission and compile
paperwork for appropriate placement in chart.
- Prepare/print lab requisitions for prescribed or stat Lab
specimens according to laboratory destination.
- Collect, label, appropriately prepare and store lab samples
according required laboratory specifications.
- Ensure collection of lab specimens by appropriate lab
- Assists in collecting information for infection control
- Supports staff and patient Adherence to infection control
- Follows infection control Policies and Procedures
- Participates in and reinforces infection control education of
patients and families under the direction of the CM or designee as
allowed by state law.TRANSITIONAL CARE UNIT:
- Follows all newly admitted patients through their first 4 weeks
of dialysis and coordinating their transitional dialysis care
- Reinforces all education and care related matters as it relates
to the new patient as allowed by state law
- Liaisons with appropriate FKC staff members to provide the best
patient experience including making sure all disciplines are
scheduled to see patient according to plan.
- Assists in assuring patient understanding or home dialysis
products, benefits of home and how home dialysis can work for
- Sets and preforms a treatment on all machines used in the
transitional care unit.
- Assist in assuring patient understanding of treatment options
including demonstration of the peritoneal dialysis set-up.
- Assists with coordination of transition to patients modality
- Assists with supply ordering and inventory for TCUPHYSICAL
DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employeeencounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enableindividuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Employees are required to take the Ishihara's Color Blindness
test as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing theIshihara
Test for Color Blindness does not preclude employment. The Company
will consider whether reasonableaccommodations can be made.
- Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and
interaction with patients, facility staff, and physicians. The
position requires travel between assigned facilities and various
locations within the community. Travel to regional, Business Unit
and Corporate meetings may be required.
- The work environment is characteristic of a health care
facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels.
May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials
- The position provides direct patient care that regularly
involves heavy lifting and moving of patients and assisting with
standing and the employee must be able to bend over. The employee
may occasionally be required to push and/or pull equipment,
exerting up to 15 pounds of force. The employee may be required to
lift and to lower solutions on a frequent basis of up to 30 lbs.,
and on an occasional lift basis up to 40 lbs., as high as 5 feet.
There is a two-person assist program and "material assist devices
for the heavier items.EDUCATION AND LICENSES:
- HighSchooldiplomaorG.E.D. required.
- Must meet Center for Medicaid/Medicare Services (CMS)-approved
state and/or national certification requirements within the
required state or CMS timeline.
- Demonstrated commitment to organization culture, values, and
customer service standardsEXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS :
- Continued employment is dependent on successful completion of
the organization dialysis training program and successful
completion of CPR certification.ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:I acknowledge that
I have read and accepted this job description. I understand what is
expected of me in this position, and I am able to perform the
essential functions as outlined with or without reasonable
accommodation. Furthermore, I understand that the duties and
responsibilities listed in this job description are intended only
as illustrations of the various types of work that may be
performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not
exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or
a logical assignment to the position. If I have any questions about
duties and responsibilities not specified in this job description
that I am asked to perform, I should discuss them with my immediate
supervisor or my Human Resources representative.Employee Name
(Please Print)Employee SignatureDateADDENDUM:Home Therapies Program
(Not Home Assist)This list pertains to task performed in the Home
Therapies program under the direct supervision of the Home
Therapies registered nurse (HT RN) and in compliance with state
- May assist HT RN on Home Visit as directed
- Reinforces PD/HHD patient education under supervision of HT
Registered Nurse as permitted under state law
- Schedules and contacts patients regarding appointments
- Weigh patient and obtain vital signs
- Collect patients treatment records and review for completion.
Notify RN of incomplete / missing records.
- Cleaning and prepping treatment room; preparing charts prior to
- Preparing lab tubes and requisitions & assisting with lab draw
days both pre and post draw (PCT certified phlebotomy or per state
- Clerical duties as assigned (faxing, mailing to physician
- Set-up of the home hemodialysis machine and PD Cycler
- Assist with exit site care when directed by HT RN
- Warm dialysate solution when directed by the HT RN
- Obtain home hemodialysis water and dialysate samples and
process for testing as directed by HT RN
- Creates and sends patient reminders (supply inventory for
order, Kt/V collection, bringing meds to clinic visit for
- Prepare initial patient chart for admission. Complies and
maintains medical records according to company policy and procedure
and in compliance with all appropriate regulatory requirements
- Maintains logs as directed and applicable
- Support patient registration and use of connected health
- Provide patient home support as indicated and permissible under
state law and applicable regulationsInventory of Home Program
- Maintains par levels of home department supplies
- Files home patient packing slips/invoicesInventory for Patients
- Assists patient with supply management and contacting customer
IdentityFresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free
workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state
Keywords: Fresenius Medical Center, Pinellas Park , Patient Care Tech, Other , Pinellas Park, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!